Well this one started out as a casual, everyday jacket, and I guess it still is, but with a 30s-sailor-blouse-vibe. Just the usual :)
This is another made from a thrifted garment. In a thrift store, my eyes are always peeled for anything red. It's hard to pick my favorite color, but it is certainly one of my favorite colors and it is also certainly part of this seasonal color scheme :)
So I spied this dress (that of course I forgot to photograph beforehand but looked a little something like this):
It's hard to draw, but the bottom 12" is a matching red chiffon, which I hoped I could use to my advantage.
I thought a good starting point would be this pattern:
The one on the far right,"E" specifically. The dress was a lighter rayon, so I was just hoping the drapey effect would work with this pattern since I didn't want to deal with making a lining.
I cut out the front and back pieces first and then used the chiffon part to make the ends of the sleeves.
Aaaaand the remainder of the chiffon seemed perfectly sized to make a little impromptu sailor collar!
Aaaaand then--the remaining fabric became the little ties/plackets/sashes in the front for the buttons! Vintage buttons, found here in NYC...
Well-used and well-loved that shapeless, thrifted, red dress :)